Resilience seems to fill our feeds and conversations lately—it might be the top buzzword of 2021.
And if you’re feeling weary or burned out from this past year, all this resilience talk may feel more exhausting than encouraging.
Maybe this is because resilience is often described as never-ending tenacity and strive (cue exhaustion).
But what if resilience could look more like grace for ourselves and others? Reflecting inwards to feel centered and aligned through our challenges?
That’s the kind of resilience that feels more like a deep exhale. We call this radical resilience.
What is radical resilience? It’s the ability to recover from setbacks, adapt well to change, and continue moving forward in the face of adversity. The radical part is what shakes up the typical definition—our radically different tools include perspective, recentering, loosening your grip, embracing the funk, and finding the courage to innovate.
We believe radical resilience grows when we’re aligned with who we are and what we need.
So, how do you cultivate radical resilience?
- Shift your perspective: Take a moment to think about how far you’ve come to be where you are today. There are days filled with uncertainty behind you, and surely more ahead, but that’s not the full story. Put today’s feelings in their rightful place- important but part of the larger story unfolding.
- Recenter yourself: Reflect on your CliftonStrengths—what do they reveal about who you are and what you need today? Knowing what you need is hard, but understanding why someone or something feels frustrating is a good place to start—this is a clue to what needs attention.
- Loosen your grip: Unmet expectations are hard. When something isn’t going as planned, step back to ask how it could be approached differently. Cling to your goals, but be flexible in your strategies.
- Embrace the funk: Some days you’re just going to be in a “funk.” Instead of trying to prove your tenacity, choose gentleness and shift your focus to something that makes you smile. Our favorite (research supported!) strategies? Laugh, get moving, or focus on others. Your funky days likely won’t be your most productive, so instead, spark energy for tomorrow.
- Innovate: Every life disruption is an opportunity for innovation, if we only open our eyes to see it. Start by writing down what’s holding you back right now, then brainstorm the opportunities for innovation around that problem. You may just be on verge of a break through.
Radical resilience develops when we understand who we are, what we need, what we bring, and how we can embrace today for what it is while innovating for tomorrow.
The beauty of tomorrow starts with the grace you extend today.
Do you thrive with support and accountability? Our team can help you understand who you are and what you bring to the world. Click here to sign up for strengths coaching—you are your greatest asset and so worth the investment.